BREAKFAST MUFFINS WITH APPLE AND PEANUT BUTTER | VEGANUARY RECIPE
Helen Wilson, of Ground Coffee Swansea and Viva!, gives Buzz an animal product-free recipe to try on for size.
Breakfast Muffins with Apple and Peanut Butter (makes 8)
150g muesli mix
100g caster sugar
160g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
250ml sweetened plant milk
1 apple, peeled and grated
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp peanut butter
20g sultanas or raisins
Pinch salt (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/356°F/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper cases.
- Mix the muesli with the light brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the milk, apple, oil, nut butter and raisins in a jug and mix well.
- Stir this liquid mix into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Divide equally between the cases to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 25-30 mins, or until the muffins are risen and golden. Optional: drizzle some vegan syrup, e.g. maple or agave, on the top of each one.
words HELEN WILSON FOR VIVA! photos MARYANNE HALL FOR VIVA!