RECIPE: SMOKED MACKEREL PATE | FOOD FEATURE
I tend to think of smoked mackerel pâté as the grown up of tuna mayonnaise…a slightly more sophisticated flavour but, essentially, it works in the same way. Smoked mackerel pâté is delicious eaten on buttered English muffins, stirred through pasta or simply as an alternative to your usual sandwich filling.
- 200g of ready to eat smoked mackerel fillet
- 3 tbsp crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 small gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 tsp capers, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper, to season
- Remove the mackerel from its packaging, and take off any skin and evident bones that might still be remaining. Shred the flesh with a knife and fork.
- Place in a bowl with the crème fraiche, mayonnaise, horseradish sauce and lemon juice. Mash the ingredients until they make as fine a paste as possible.
- Add the chopped gherkins and capers and stir through. Season to taste et voila!
words FFIONA MILLS